Saturday, January 20, 2007

Titus One Niners handicap Virginia coadjutor contest

Back on November 18th Canon Kendall Harmon who writes titusonenine wrote brief post entitled Nominees for the upcoming election of a Bishop Coadjutor in the Diocese of Virginia.

Some comment was generated including:

Charlie Sutton Says: November 18th, 2006 at 12:53 pm
I was a member of St Clement’s when Gay Jennings was associate there. I was on the Vestry at the time. She is quite a gifted person, in terms of ability and likability. But her theology came straight out of EDS, and the Dio of Va would probably take a nosedive into full-blown revisionism if she were bishop.

Mark Johnson Says: November 18th, 2006 at 2:02 pm
The Very Reverend Johnston calls himself that as he is dean of the the northern Mississippi clericus or something like that. Not at a cathedral or a seminary as I’m accustomed to hearing. Nevertheless, he would be a step forward for the diocese of Virginia liturgically. Strong theology, confident leader, not a politician, I don’t think either side could claim him as their own. Now that Falls Church and Truro won’t have a say in the next bishop, I’d be surprised if any conservative-leaning person would be selected.

Calvin Says: November 18th, 2006 at 5:07 pm
Bob Dannals is the conservative choice on this one, I should think. While Christ Church, Greenville is not ACN, I have the sense that it is ACN sympathetic. Corrections to this sense are welcomed.
Slightly edited by elf.

Calvin Says: November 18th, 2006 at 10:07 pm
Dear Elves and the pertinent other, My apologies for speculating. I thought that the matter I mentioned was public. Again, my sincere apologies to all.
(My emphasis.) What "matter" was "public?"

Christ Church might have ACN elements in the congregation but that's quite different than saying the parish is ACN sympathetic. Here's a great story from 2003 in the Boston Globe describing Bob Dannals and Dorsey Henderson taking it from the left and the right.

No comments: