Saturday, April 16, 2005

Planned Parenthood Keynoter - News from Agape Press

He also stated that America treats everyone wrong -- except straight white men.

"I am so grateful for this experience of being gay. It has taught me so much," the bishop said. "It's my little window into what it must be like to be a woman, to be a person in a wheelchair, to be a person of color."
-Bishop Gene Robinson, keynote address to Planned Parenthood

1. Bishop Robinson's comments are contrary to the spirit of reconciliation that Episcopal Church is seeking with the Anglican Communion. He has chosen not to censor himself when he feels he has the truth. I fail to see how this distinguishes him from his opponents. Fair well Episcopal Church.

2. I guess he has explained why the primary subjects of ridicule on network television all have one thing in common. I'm thinking of Homer Simpson, so on. I love Homer. He helps me laugh at myself. But white men are the primary target of ridicule. I guess the cognitive dissonance I'm experiencing can be reconciled this way. Those who are not victims of the system are the ones we can make fun of.

3. I'm a healthy straight white guy. So I can only imagine how it would feel to be black or female or in a wheelchair and be compared to a gay white guy. There are some parallels, perhaps, but I am not aware that it has been resolved whether you have a choice about being gay.

That said, as a closet libertarian I believe that government should not be used to persecute homosexuals. Whether they have a choice in the matter is immaterial.

Book recommendation: I still remember reading Black Like Me as a young person. It's a message that stays with you for a lifetime. It's a little window into what it's like from the other side.

No comments: