Sunday, April 17, 2005

Oh, Allah, make me live as a “miskeen” (very poor), die as a “miskeen” and judge me among masakeen in the hereafter

When it was my turn, everyone, including the Native American instructor, was expecting a fight. Instead, I apologized.

Here is what I said then, and still believe now: We have millions of guest workers in Saudi Arabia. Many are abused, but not all. Some come to steal, sell sex and drugs and work without permits. Most are good humans, who came to make an honest living, raise kids, take care of parents, and save for a head start on their return.

Those decent, hardworking people deserve our utmost respect, admiration and compassion. They are better people than we are, because in Islam the poorer are the most fortunate in Allah’s grace. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to pray: Oh, Allah, make me live as a “miskeen” (very poor), die as a “miskeen” and judge me among masakeen in the hereafter.

(The author is Dr. Khaled Batarfi.)

Here's what I believe. God gave no race special treatment. Every race includes its God's plenty of decent human beings. And God's hope is that they will join him in bringing about his kingdom on earth. Khaled included.

No comments: