Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The priorities of Katharine Jefferts Schori :: Luke 4 versus John 14

“(In the synagogue Jesus) opened the scroll and found the passage which says, ‘The spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me; he has sent me to announce good news to the poor, to proclaim release for prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind; to let the broken victims go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.’ …’Today’, he said, ‘in your very hearing this text has come true.’”
(Luke 4:17-21)

“Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.”
(John 14:1-6)

What is the good news?

Some time ago - speaking in blog time, that is, a few month's ago - Bishop Dorsey Henderson (Upper South Carolina) wrote "[r]ecently I had a conversation with a Bible teacher in our diocese who was incensed that, in his opinion, she did not express the correct “priority”. ... I am surprised that there is criticism about Ms. Jefferts Shori’s response. " He asked "what do you think" and received a number of comments. The first comment he received: salvation has priority over social services.

Related: Thoughts from titusonenine, I'm Christian, too, and PB Schori.

UPDATE: What is Chris Sugden trying to say at Anglican Mainstream? Does he see some contradiction in Schori's words?

No comments: